Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Scrabble

I love Scrabble. Mostly because I think I'm pretty good at it. I'm not going to go compete in any tournaments or anything, but give me the opportunity and I'll rock your socks off. I came upon an article on Mental Floss about 10 words that will help you win. I thought I'd share it in case you were a Scrabbler like me. If you're too lazy to click the link, here are the words:

1. Aa. And I don’t mean the acronym for Alcoholics Anonymous, either. Aa is “basaltic lava having a rough surface.”
2. Qat
– a flowering plant native to East Africa and the Arabian peninsula.
3. Zax
– a slater or slate mason, or the tool used to cut and punch nail holes in roofing slate.
4. Cwm – a valley, especially one created by glacial movement. Be warned: this one won’t get you many points, but it is good for using up pesky, low-score consonants taking up valuable space on your rack.
5. Xu
– Vietnamese money
6. Qua
– as or as being, or in the character of.
7. Suq
– a market, or part of a market, in an Arab city.
8. Adz – an axe-like tool.
9. Jo – sweetheart or dear
10. Qadi – a judge in the Muslim community.
Scrabble is big, in case you don't know. It's all over the place and you don't even see it. My wife and I watched a documentary about it a while back. Here's a trailer:



We actually enjoyed the documentary which was kind of weird since the most interesting character is a balding nerd who has gastro-intestinal problems.

I also found this one panel comic, which isn't specifically about Scrabble, yet still manages to bring it up.


Just to bring our video quota up another notch for this post, I came upon this video on "The Youtube" which is just hilarious if you have ever played the game and understand the kind of emotions that course through you while playing.



If you have never played Scrabble, or haven't played in a long time, you owe it to yourself to play. Go out, get one, and get Scrabblin'.

No comments: